Sunday, February 11, 2007

I'll Take Tanuki for 800, Please.

Until the last few days, it has been a slightly uneventful month. Yeah, my wallet is still recovering from the year-end's nine consecutive nights of partying... Yes, Auntie, I do work! Sometimes. But now I finally have a few stories to share!

On Friday I went in for the requisite health checkup for Himeji city employees. And I thought the FIRST doctor's visit was fun! I was subjected to a litany of tests, all of which were completed in less than fifteen minutes...and it probably would have gone faster if I actually spoke any Japanese beyond "err, wakarimasen" (I don't understand).

When I first got to the office, I waited in line with other women for the session to start at 1pm. As soon as the second-hand was vertical, the line started moving. First, we all took a paper cup from a stack at the front of the line and made our way to the restroom. It was so funny because it was so contrary to the practice in the States, which is so discreet. Anytime I've done a urinalysis at home, you get a plastic cup with a lid, and when you're finished, you put it through a little door in the wall of the single-unit restroom. You never have to look the nurse in the eye!

Here, we had to pee in paper cups in a three-stall bathroom, and all the girls would set them down on the counter as they washed their hands, and then carry them back into the lobby and wait in line again. At the first table, we set our samples down and the nurse placed a little test strip in it while she looked over our paperwork. I nearly knocked mine over while placing my mental health questionnaire in the box. That would definitely have given me a complex...

Then I went to the next station, where a man measured my height and weight, and I couldn't figure out if he wanted me to take my shoes off or not. Obviously he wanted me to, not just because you don't typically get weighed with shoes, but merely because this is Japan, you know. I think I was just expecting to be confused! And then they tested my hearing, and I'd done that before so I nailed it! But then they tested my vision and I failed miserably...with my glasses ON.

Thankfully the test is conducted without using any of the three Japanese alphabets (that would be cruel). Instead, there is a black circle on a white background and it moves around and decreases in size, and you have to say in which direction a small opening in the circle is facing. But I didn't figure out how to take the test until they tested my right eye, so they probably think I'm completely blind in my left one! Anyway.

Then they took my blood pressure, listened to my heart and lungs, and took THREE vials of blood! Holy crap! Hopefully my test results will let me know my bloodtype, since I don't know it and everyone here always gives me a crazy look when I tell them that. It's practically the most commonly asked question behind "What's your name?" and "Where are you from?" And then I signed a waiver (that I couldn't read) before being given an electrocardiogram, which was also an event in itself. I think Mom and Dad should be happy to know that I don't understand "Take off your shirt" in Japanese. LOL!

So that was fun, and I got a half day out of it. Later that evening I got to go to a formal party with all of the other ALTs and our principals. We were required to entertain each other, so a few of the principals sang some really great songs for us. Then we shared some really important aspects of our culture, you know, like the Time Warp. Fortunately everyone had been drinking for awhile by the time we performed! It was quite an enjoyable night. They really take care of us here; it's a great program.

And today was wonderful. The weather is gorgeous, and it's been a day full of little things that remind me how much I love Japan. Once or twice a month there's a flea market in the park across the street from the castle, so my friend Michelle "Apparently I'm Not Aerodynamic" Gates and I rode our bikes downtown to peruse the merchandise. I went with the express intent of purchasing some locally cultivated honey, but of course I came back with more. I finally got a tanuki!

Check it out on Wikipedia: What is this girl talking about?

I see them outside of drinking establishments a lot here because they're kind of folklorically connected with good times and mischief. Taube and Julian have one outside of their room and I've wanted one since I got here, but the ones I've seen have been too expensive because they're usually ceramic or wood carvings. But the one I found today is ceramic and it was only eight bucks! And even though it's a little on the small side, it's a statue of a boy tanuki AND a girl tanuki, and it has a cork at the top, which means you can fill it with liquids! I'm totally going to keep my shochu in it! Don't worry, shochu is Japanese for "water" (um, but don't Wiki that).



I'm so glad I found one because it's just a little part of Japanese culture that will remind me of my time here. And the market was fun as usual. I always get to talk to a lot of interesting people. The honey lady, whom I've talked to before, and who knows I'm an English teacher and don't speak much Japanese beyond describing my profession, talked my ear off anyway. I love her.

The Chinese people who sold Michelle a vase taught us "shei shei," which is Mandarin for "thank you." Since I know how, I told them my grandmother is Filipina and they said they could see it in my eyes. Of course, the honey lady (who had long since abandoned her booth) agreed.

And then I talked briefly with a nice Peruvian guy (who thankfully put down the hat I was eyeing). We were talking about what languages we speak:

Chelsea: "Eigo shaberimasu ka?"
Mr. Peru (shaking his head): "Spango."
Chelsea: "Watashi mo! Poquito, porque Arizona-shu wa muy cerca de Mexico."

Chelsea: "[Japanese] Do you speak English?"
Mr. Peru: "[Japanese] Spanish."
Chelsea: "[Japanese] Me too! [Spanish] A little because [Japanese] Arizona [Spanish] very close to Mexico."

Yeah. There wasn't even a verb in that last sentence. That's pretty much my life here; I can't think in a straight line anymore!

Maybe I should lay off the shochu.

2 comments:

kai said...

Shochu...water...mmm-hmmm!

I see it's National Foundation Day today in Japan. What type of celebration do they have?

I'm so glad you're still having such a great time there! You could be back here where the news media is obsessed with one "very important" story: that Anna Nicole Smith died. Shows what an intelligent country we've become.

Have fun!

Love you,
Karen

MPH said...

"Hopefully my test results will let me know my bloodtype, since I don't know it and everyone here always gives me a crazy look when I tell them that."

That's too funny. I, as you know, am 34 and I still didn't know what my blood type was. My friend Lesley always told me to find out (my mom didn't even know mine). So, a few months ago I gave blood again, and they finally sent me a card in the mail that had my blood type on it. It took. 34 years, but now I know I'm A+. Woo hoo....