Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Without AC in the Land of the Blazing Sun

My air conditioning is broken! Yay! This is one of the adventures I can laugh about (when I get home). It works sporadically, but it's weak and it randomly turns itself off. I asked Kevin to help me talk to the custodian (um, because the custodian of our entirely English-speaking apartment complex doesn't speak any English). It's now Tuesday afternoon, and he says they will have someone come and look at it on Monday. Is it me, or is that kind of a long time to wait just for a repairman to "take a look" at it? And the custodian keeps coming in and reminding me (in Japanese, of course), "Yes, very weak, very weak." I'm serious! He has come back a half a dozen times in the last half hour and doesn't do anything except put his hand in front of the air flow and tell me it's not working! I guess it's polite; he's showing me he knows I have a problem...it's just awkward. And Kevin (who has been in other parts of Japan for a few years already) told me I can look forward to it taking several weeks for anything to get done with any problem that presents itself. Where did we get the stereotype that Japanese people are ultra-efficient?

No comments: